Summer Time Got Me Like…WHOAAAA! Slow Down!
It has been a whirl wind of activity at the compound (my little five acres). Middle daughter turned 18 in April and then graduated High-school a week ago. It has been non-stop running around, working and party planning.
Middle Daughter is going to UT in August. Our oldest went to A&M. As a mother who had no preference other than Get your butt to college, any college, as long as it’s in Texas I was happy. No house divided here. So my opinion on these two universities is…
I’m going to have to go with A&M over all, over UT, when compared to these few things we have experienced so far:
* Long Standing Traditions. A&M is all about traditions, songs, class yells and the list goes on. You are part of the Aggie Family from the time you get that acceptance letter.
* Freshman Orientation. A&M so far has UT beat. Where is the hype? Where is the parent participation? Why don’t they push the Fish Camp like A&M does? It just all falls flat. We’ll see when we actually go through orientation. So far I am not impressed.
* Campus Housing. Sorry A&M but UT has you beat! You both have the same mandatory food card, which I think should be optional. However UT has a lot more housing available and nearly every student has a dorm. This is not 100% accurate but when Dorm rooms are already given out before registration even begins at A&M, UT has them beat for sure!
*Surrounding Community. Well, let’s face it, nothing about Austin feels safe for our fledglings. College Station has Austin beat as far as small town feel, community and safety. A&M wins again!
Keep in mind before y’all argue with me. I am a mom, I did not go to University, I am not a sports fan and I may have the youngest daughter going to Baylor in a couple of years. All families have their needs, their comfort levels etc. I am just not feeling the same about UT as I did about A&M. I hope this orientation proves me wrong.
Hook ’em Horns and Gig ’em Aggies!
We’re all under the Great State of Texas’ Flag and that’s the #1 thing we can be proud of
I found some blog prompts that I liked. There are not as many as their used to be. At least not the ones by day. I remember the old days of blogging with memes. Now memes are not the same thing. I show my age here, ha ha. Here is the list so far. I do not plan on sticking to these 100%, I want to add my own spin and see how it works out. I did want to share though for anybody stuck like I am.
Manic Mondays, Travel Tuesday, Wednesdays Wishlist, Throwback Thursday, Fitness Friday, Shop Local Saturday, Scripture Sunday
Today I have to go to work and wont be back home for 12 hours. I wont be back here until after Easter. Have a great holiday
Last week I posted some blog prompts on twitter that I liked. Wishlist Wednesday sounded like fun. Then I thought how helpful would that be to share and save for when I forget. So today I am going to share with you the first five things on my Amazon wishlist.
– I am no affiliated with Amazon, I just “window shop” there, a lot!
1. Elizavecca Milky Piggy Carbonated Bubble Clay Mask
I admit I only want this because I’ve seen a couple of my favorite YouTubers give reviews on it. I enjoy face masks, products from around the world, adding things to my wishlist and YouTube. Also this one bubbles and makes faces look huge. I’m a fan of funny too.
2. Cosplay Black Butler Ciel Sebastian Ring Necklace Earring Studs Set (not my description, it’s just what it is.)
I want this for my youngest daughter. She is a fan of Black Butler, Death Note, Parasite, Cosplay etc. and this little set would be fun to have. She introduced me to Black Butler because they enjoy tea and thought my enjoyment of Downton Abbey would be a match. It was. I’m easy to entertain.
3. Disney Dare to Dream Pocahontas Beauty Book
I wanted the Snow White Beauty Book, however it was quite expensive so I chose a random one. I think Pocahontas was a pretty good choice. If any of them were given to me I would be happy. I wish I didn’t miss these when they were first released.
4. Hot Huez Temporary Hair Chalk Kit
I like different colored hair, in moderation. I don’t want to have a long term relationship with one color and one look. So hey, Hair Chalk is the answer.
5. A Mandoline Slicer Grater
I use one at work and I want one at home. I do not slice veggies very well. Terrible actually. So this one isn’t very exciting but I would be excited to get one.
It’s not extraordinarily exciting. I hope I helped you think about your wishlist, maybe add a new product or inspired you to share yours with everybody else.
If you don’t want to share your entire wishlist maybe just do Book Wishlist, Toy Wishlist, Movies, Gadgets, Beauty, Shoes, Etc. Any kind of wishlist you may have
I hope y’all are having, had, may have a Wonderful Wednesday. Thank you so very much for visiting me today.
First of all how did we get in to the middle of March already? January came in like it always does in a whirl wind of holiday spirit. February creeped in and snuck an extra day on the calendar. March piggy backed in on that extra day hoping we wouldn’t notice it. I suppose we here in Central Texas have ourselves to blame. We have enjoyed a very mild winter and barely noticed the days, let alone the months, pass by.
Spring playday seasons have started at our local riding clubs, racing at the dragway is in full force and here we are with the G’ Girls on Spring Break. The weather today has been beautiful. We are ready to clean the pool and ready it for even warmer weather. Even though I work weekends I am ready for the lazy days of summer, the sounds of the drag strip and pulling horse trailers all over the surrounding counties.
I have been spray painting our black metal tiki torches a coral color, along with painting stripes on an old plastic outdoor table we have that used to bare the Texas flag on top of it that’s just about all worn away. Other items have been painted a deep sky blue and more stripes on that same table. I am gearing up for sitting outside in comfort. Spray paint is a wonderful way to spruce up old outdoor decor. It makes it look new and if you want to change your colors every year it’s only a few dollars to do so. If only I could spray paint and make new everything else
I have to end this short, I have to change and go to the gym. I’m still having too many cheat days and lots of cups of tea. More on that another day.
I am seriously asking y’all. What’s for Dinner? I haven’t got a clue. We are so in between the weather cooling but still being warm. It’s inspiring me to cook some soups already, however I in reality I’m leaning more towards, sliders, BBQ sandwiches and of course my favorite, Tacos! I suppose I will just ease into the whole Fall inspired flavors later.
The world seems to already be embracing pumpkin flavored treats and chili in the crockpot. Don’t get me wrong, I am ready for some bonfire, hoody wearing, break out the cute scarves weather. I live in Texas. Texas isn’t temperature ready yet and since I am a Texan (by choice, not birth), I am not ready either. I do look forward to it though ;).
Fall is also sneaking in on our horses. They already have signs of their winter coats coming in. Most horse enthusiasts do not like this stage of their horses fur, I’m in the minority. I love a fuzzy coat. My big tank of a horse, Chevy, gets like a woolly mammoth and I love it! I like to lean against him and run my fingers in his coat. He’s the cutest when he’s fuzzy. His summer coat is super shiny with copper tones in it and it’s impressive. I suppose I have learned to appreciate everything that is horse
Happy Fall Y’all!
I leave you with a picture or two of Josh Hamilton playing for the Roundrock Express May 2015
Good Friday Morning!
I have taken yet another break from this blog. I get busy being creative in real life that I have a hard time being creative online. I am sewing up a storm. There is a wind full of thread and scraps, ha ha.
So you might wonder, well, since I’m not here, and I’m sewing, what the heck am I sewing? I am sewing aprons and hair accessories. I didn’t set out to make aprons I needed one. I started working at a local dragway, it’s really fun, sometimes. Sometimes it’s brutal, but that’s a story for another day. Back to the aprons. I made three and the comments I got on my Facebook was great. Then people wanted me to make some for them, and pay me to do it! I would never have thought I would be making and selling aprons all because I needed to have some working in a concession stand!
I have been inspired by the fabrics, other folks online and vintage pictures. It reminds me of making quilts you get to wear with all the color and print combinations out there. It is also like making costumes. All of the things that I like to create but now we get to wear them every day :).
My cost can be high. Fabric is not cheap and I tried very hard to keep my prices lower than others but now I understand why the prices online are so high for the individual creator. Sometimes you have to order the fabric at $9.99 a yard plus another $8.00 to ship, all for just one apron somebody wants with specialty fabric, not including contrasting fabric, lining it and trim. It’s hard to keep cost down and try to earn a little extra in your pocket. So yes there are cheaper crafty items to be had, if you find what you want, buy it! Heck save some money. I understand now the costs of the individual working out of their home. I do my best to make quality items because I know the money that was just shelled out is hard earned.
So that’s why I have been busy offline. I hope y’all are well. I need to come and update with stories from the dragway and the characters I get to converse with, HA HA! I do enjoy people and their stories
– – I will be back with pictures of the aprons I have created
Onto something else now.
This morning I saw a like on a tumblr post that my niece-in-law liked. It was “Sixteen Small Steps to Happiness” by Emma Elsworthy. I changed a few words to fit my family and American English words :p, these are not original ideas by me, but I enjoyed them, shared them with my family and going to baby step the first one, ha ha. It will be neat to see how this list evolves family to family, location by location
16 Steps to a Happy Life
1. Push yourself to get up before the rest of the world – start with 7am, then 6am, then 5:30am. Go to the highest point you can find and watch the sun rise.
2. Fall asleep earlier – start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.
3. Remove processed food from your diet. Start with no candy, chips, cookies, etc. Then rem0ve pasta, rice, cereal, and bread. Use the rule that if you can’t purchase the ingredient, identify it or pronounce it, you don’t eat it.
4. Get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. Cut up tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic into an egg & scramble it up. Slice up a fresh avocado, then sit and eat it and think of nothing else.
5. Stretch. Start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. roll your head. stretch your fingers. stretch everything.
6. Drink your water. 8 8oz a day. You will feel amazing!
7. Buy a pretty diary and a cute pen. Write down everything you do, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. No detail is too small. Even puppy cuddles.
8. Strip your bed of your sheets, blankets and pillow cases. Put them in the washing machine. Add a massive scoop of fabric softener and wash. Make your bed in full. Take extra time on fluffing pillows.
9. Organize your room. Fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, nightstand, dresser, desk, your laptop, vacuum the floor. Light a scented candle.
10. Have a luxurious shower with your favorite music playing. Wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. Lather your whole body in moisturizer. Don’t forget the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck.
11. Go for a walk. Take your headphones, smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smile back. Bring your dog and observe the dog’s behavior. Realize you can learn from your dog. Or learn what not to do.
12. Message friends and family with personal jokes, reminisce, suggest a catch up soon, even if you don’t follow through. However remind yourself to follow through.
14. Think long and hard about what interests you. Art? Books? Other cultures? long-forgotten etiquette? Find a book about it and read it. There is a book & websites about literally everything.
15. Become the person you would ideally fall in love with. Let cars merge into your lane when driving. Compliment people on their cute clothes. Challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day, then two, then a week. Walk with a straight posture. Look people in the eye. Ask people about their selves . Talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
16. Lie in the sunshine, daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a thing. Open your eyes & start taking small steps to make it happen for you.
Enjoy your life, be kind and have a wonderful day.
Rain, puddles and mud up to our hiney’s y’all! Just letting you know that.
The rain here can bring out lots of critters. Snakes will seek shelter in new places, mice will try to move into sheds and garages, which of course, attract the snakes. Our resident lizards seem to hide until the sun comes back out, the horses seem to take the same attitude. The most common critter we’ve had come out of the muck are turtles.
In one week I have seen five different turtles. Three in the road, one on the driveway and the biggest in my front yard. Two I stopped and carried off the road. Those were common sliders, along with the one on the driveway, the big one however was a Spiny Soft-shell turtle. They are somewhat aggressive, are strong, and will readily bite. They feed readily on fish, worms, crickets, pink mice, crayfish, and shrimp. – I’m glad I didn’t mess with it. I wont lie, I really wanted to touch him. I let him go turtle away. Which he did, probably to my neighbors ponds in the back of the property.
I hope y’all are staying dry, enjoying what ever weather God has give your area. Unless you’re in California, I wish I could share this rain with you there.
Today is a gorgeous day here in Central Texas! Which is a huge relief from all the gray skies, rain and MUD! I had nothing but doom, gloom and complaints. What a bore.
I do have tales of a certain little gray horse. He has not only devoured the same roses that were finally coming back, but in retaliation for being shooed away from the front deck has carried out a most heinous crime. Two and a half years ago my oldest daughter took a few seeds from an apple she had been eating and planted them. Crazy enough three began to grow. She did end up losing one but two have been going strong. One has grown faster than the other but this year the little one has really grown some beautiful leaves. She has babied these trees.
Last night Max the “lucky to not be glue” horse was trying to get on the front deck. When that didn’t work he went over to bite the window and was shooed away. He wanted his grain Now! In retaliation he went to the back deck. We heard his hooves but when it got quiet we figured he didn’t get far and walked away. Until this morning when I saw the trees laying on the deck, soil every where and the biggest one, snapped. He had a tantrum and didn’t eat the trees, just wanted to show us.
Some may read this and think “Horses don’t think that way” or “Animals aren’t capable of that emotion”. You must have never have had an animal, pet, etc. in your life. Because they do and they are. Come babysit Max and this mean kitty that harasses my 90 pound dog. Crazy animals, one day I will take video of all of this and you can laugh with me :). It’s actually amusing, after I get over grumbling.
I hope y’all have a wonderful day.
It’s a beautiful day in Central Texas. I am bummed another bit of winter is coming through. I live for these mild sunny days, I get to take the blankets off the horses, my Merle gets to run around more and like many I just feel happier with a bit of sunshine on my skin.
Though I feel good that the sun is out, warming the earth I am so sore from this weeks workout. Daughter 3 and I did leg day on Sunday because I was in CStat. for a couple of days. Since doing an intense leg day my back has hurt. The next day was back/shoulders, yesterday was chest/tricep day so I have had no break. Tonight is supposed to be our new leg day but we are changing it up to Thursdays because of her sword class Wednesday nights. She can’t go through an entire day of school, haidong gumdo and then do a full intense leg day. Tonight I believe is focus on core training with 45 minutes of cardio. Sounds like a nice rest doesn’t it, ha ha.
I know I make working out sound brutal, it is, in a good way. It gives me a huge sense of accomplishment. I feel like I can do anything, play tug-o-war with my dog more, ride better, I feel more confident and the best thing is I do look better. Yes that is a huge perk but there is so much more to working out and lifting weights. Bone density, later in life my shoulders wont droop, my heart will be strong, etc. the list goes on. So when I am a little old lady I will still be at the gym showing those young guys how it’s done and maybe still walking through exercises with a timid newbie. I wish I could show everybody how good working out can be. Find something you enjoy and move. Dance classes, yoga, riding lessons, walking your dog daily, etc. Again, just move. You will never regret it
BBQ Baked Chicken, Baked Potatoes, Asparagus, & Jalapeño Poppers (they have sausage in them so might be weird)